Monday, November 8, 2010

Personal Brand

A few nights ago, Hubby and I were talking about random things before going to bed. I mentioned, as I sat here at the computer, that I would like to be a better blogger. He asked me why, I told him that I think blogs are cool. I think it's a neat way to practice different styles of writing. It's a good way to connect with people. It's more personal, and at the same time more private, than social networks. Blah, blah, blah. I don't know that I really have a good reason, I just like them.

After a few minutes of silence, Hubby brought up the idea of the Personal Brand.

"What's that?" I asked.

He explained that for much of Earth's history, people have lived under family crests, house symbols, national flags, and company logos. Nowadays, however, with blogs and websites and social networks, each person can have their own "brand."

I thought it was an interesting idea. In some ways, it puts the pressure on to create a cool logo, catchy theme, compelling mission statement. On the other hand, even with a personal brand, there are so many out there that it would still be easy to sink into complete anonymity, to get lost in the swirl and color and fun that is the blogging world.

I have more to write on this topic tomorrow, but for today:

If you were to design a symbol that represents you, what would it be and why?

I'm honestly not sure what mine would be, and I've thought about it a lot. I would probably have some kind of a horse representation, possibly a quill, and wild flowers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would represent myself with some take on the letter Q. In fact, when I start the Rolling Q Ranch I've already got my awesome cattle brand designed in my mind.

Lynn said...

Hmmm....Probably a CTR shield in there somewhere, and a flower, a word that means woman, mother, grandmother, in latin or other language. maybe Oma would do. I'd have to think on it some more.

WV: plizesp--When the VCR tape is just too messed up to splice and you've got to buy a new one.

Rachel said...

I've used that as an art prompt for my kids multiple times...it's always interesting to see what they come up with. And, I pick something different for myself every time, which is fun. Also, I love that you're blogging more...you're such a good writer!