Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Feelin' the Love

It's normal, I think, for children to say some variation on "Mommy" or "Daddy" as the first of their words, right? It indicates what is most important in their little lives. It shows, in some measure, appreciation of all that we do for them, if only because they are able to ask for us directly.

My daughter's first word was "pup," spoken at Grammy's house when we were playing with the dogs. Cute. Fitting. I'm really okay with that.

She got tired of that word in a big hurry and didn't say anything for a couple months after that. Then, she started saying "bye-bye." I got excited. Words were forthcoming! Soon she would be saying "Mommy!" So cute... I drooled in anticipation.

At this point, her verbal repertoire has expanded to this:

"Bye-bye"
"Hi!"
"Uh-oh"
"Ki'i"
"Cheese"

Endearing.

What, I ask you, has cheese done for her? Well, okay, so it fills her little belly and tastes yummy going down, but really? Cheese? Never has any block of cheese changed her little diapers or made her feel better when she falls down. And if one did, I would either be completely weirded out or completely thrilled and hire the cheese to babysit for me.

Hurray for Mommy adventures!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Na, they usually say da-da not because of Daddy, but because they are easy sounds to make. Notice that Daddy sounds nothing like "Father."

WV: monvers--mothers who are on the move to change the world!

Maria said...

Addie's first word was Elephant, though Jer says it didn't count because she was just mimicking me, after that in was banana. She then said Da-da and only recently realized that I was not da-da but Ma-ma. And it really does melt your heart :D