Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sucker!

Schprid and I both had doctor appointments yesterday. Everything looks good. In fact, everything about the appointments were going well until Schprid tried to climb up on the table herself. Sadly, the stepstool wasn't pulled out quite far enough, and she lost her balance. She fell backwards, bumped her head, bruised her pride, and immediately set up a healthy wail. I picked her up, gave her love and hugs and kisses and everything that a Mommy has to offer. The doctor had something better. She brought out a sucker.

Oh, boy, that was the best thing our Schprid has ever had! She stuck that thing in her mouth and proceeded to drool all over everything. Meanwhile, I scrambled around in the diaper bag as fast as I could for something- anything!- to wipe her up with. I came up with a diaper wipe. Fortunately, she was still in only a diaper, which helped with the cleaning-up process. Which happened about 6 times in the course of one dum-dum.

Little-known fact: the best part of the sucker is the stick. That's right. When the stick just below the candy gets too soggy to actually hold up the dum-dum anymore, the easiest fix is to just bite the whole thing off, candy, stick, and all. I tried to pry it out of her mouth, thinking that it wasn't the best thing in the world for her to eat, but this little girl who normally opens her mouth very willingly and happily for me clamped her little teeth shut and wouldn't let me in. Nope, she was keeping that stick and whatever remnants of candy were left on it very firmly to herself, thank you very much.

Ah, yes. That's why I'm generally opposed to suckers for little people. I think we'll ban them until my youngest child is about 10.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, are you kidding?! I love the magical power of dum dums! Actually, I'm generally anti-candy, but there was a dum dum in my purse for about a year straight for shots and inconsolable injuries. Magic, I tell you, magic!

~Carla