Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fashion Fickle

I have a problem.

I believe fashion is all sorts of fun, and I love getting inspired by all the cool ideas I find on shows, blogs, etc. And then I try my hand at it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm decent at decorating. I'm not spectacular by any means, but I think part of that is just lack of practice.

No, my real problem is this: I can't decide on what I actually like. I see something in the store, and it looks great to me. By the time I get it home, it looks either stale and boring or eccentric in a bad way. I don't understand how people can take items, decide they like them, and then incorporate these same items into a room, outfit, yard, or whatever and make an overall fresh and exciting look. The funny thing is, often I will see the individual items that other people use and inwardly cringe. Then, I see the overall effect and fall in love. How does that happen?

The logical side of my brain says that I should pick up items that make me cringe and bring them home, then try to work with them. Trouble is, that will just leave me with a house full of cringiness and no idea how to use them.

How do you deal with fashion?

No comments: