Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grateful

This winter, I am grateful for windows.

For those of you who don't know, or who didn't get the opportunity to see it, last winter we lived in a teeny tiny little appartment. It had one bedroom. Everything else was in the other room. We lived, ate, did laundry, and kept the Schprid in the main living area. Did I mention that it was small? Because yeah, it was small. The only window in the apartment was in the bedroom. That window looked out over our yard- a parking lot. We didn't go outside much. Between the frigid temperatures and the lack of inviting atmosphere outside, not to mention the fact that we had a 2-9 month old baby, we just didn't venture out much. Talk about feeling trapped!

This winter, life is better. Granted, I'm pregnant and so still not feeling terribly ambitious about going outside. But we have a horse that needs to be taken care of, and that makes me get outside at least once if not twice every day. The rest of the time, our house is delightfully situated to get much sunlight and it all comes streaming through numerous windows. One of them is even a huge picture window- no seams or breaks at all. We can't open it, but it's probably seven or eight feet wide of glorious outside view. I love it. It just helps me to feel like I'm getting the outside experience, even when I do feel that it's too cold or I'm too tired to make the effort to go outside.

How do you get through these last few weeks of winter?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I start by enjoying the warm spell in February, and then by looking at the world around me during storms. Here the snow is higher moisture and sparkles like diamonds sometimes.

I go out the door and watch for the first crocus and tulips to sprout, which is before the end of winter, but gives hope and joy.

WV: tickser--someone who makes you really mad.