Thursday, January 27, 2011

Potty Matters

We're not there yet. My mom always waited until her kids were 3 to potty train, the theory being that at that point they were a little bit more mature and able to handle the responsibility. I am thinking about it, though, and doing some "pre-training" exercises... mostly involving using the word "potty" with her. I try to catch her in the act and associate that with the word.

I don't know so much if that's helping, but this morning, while I was doing dishes, she kept putting her hand to her backside and saying "Ew," another word we use when changing her diaper. Sure enough, I went to change her and she was quite messy. This wouldn't be terribly remarkable except that because of it I ended up changing her diaper at a time when I don't usually.

I've noticed, too, that potty training books and videos at the library have started catching my eye. Apparently I'm thinking about it more than I thought I was.

Like I said, we're not there yet, but it's good to be prepared... for those of you who have potty trained, what methods have/haven't worked for you? When did you start potty training? How difficult was it?

2 comments:

Lynn said...

If you ask a million people you will get a million answers.

5 children, 5 different methods. What can I say? I don't think we were ever successful until they were ready.

Yes, I only have 4 children! One of them took more than once. No, just kidding, sorry boys! I also potty trained a niece.

WV: explest---an explosion of blessings.

Chels said...

Huh. Well, that is no help whatsoever. ;)