Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Santa Theory

Hubby has a theory. You see, he believes that Santa really does exist. However, given that it really isn't feasible for the jolly elf to visit all 6 million people on the planet in one night, even with a magic sleigh, he's gotten smart over the years.

He outsources.

He has very cleverly cultivated both belief and skepticism about his existence. He makes the parents feel responsible for doing his job. That way, the families that believe in him do his job for him, leaving him to concentrate on the families that need him more. The job still gets done, and he still has to work very hard throughout the year, but he leaves the parents to do a lot of the grunt work.

I like it. I feel like I'm part of something special, being Santa's helper.

Do you perpetuate/plan to perpetuate the Santa story with your kids?

3 comments:

Lynn said...

We told the truth about Santa from the beginning, after a friend said that when she found out Santa and the Tooth Fairy, she had a hard time believing in Jesus too.

At least one of our children chose to believe in Santa anyway, as does a certain grandchild--until a classmate told her too!

So they like the magic, and that's okay.

Then again, Santa brought me a gift a few times...and no one in the family claimed they put it under the tree so it must have been Santa!

For reference, see my blog post about my birthday...!

WV: persion--an ornery person, maybe from Iraq, who doesn't believe in Santa.

Lynn said...

I posted your link on facebook. I hope you get a few hits and comments.

Word Verification: acedente: A new toothpaste that guarantees you'll win at poker.

Anonymous said...

I was actually talking to Rene about this and we decided that if/when we have kids we are not going to actively promote the Santa myth, but nor are we going to disabuse our children of it either. I think there's something kind of magic about Santa and neither Rene nor I had traumatic experiences with discovering that he wasn't a real person or anything.

Plus I'm planning on having simple Christmases that are not oriented around the obtaining of Stuff, so Santa's gonna be pretty stingy with the kids anyway.