Thursday, December 30, 2010

No TV

Have I mentioned this before? Hubby and I don't have television. We do this for several reasons.

1. I get addicted to it and don't get anything done.
2. Most of what's on tv isn't very interesting to either of us.
3. It's expensive.
4. We like reading and playing games and cooking and working on our house and are more likely to do these things if the tv isn't there as a constant temptation.

Let me tell you, it's great! I think the only thing Hubby misses is football games. I don't miss anything. Occasionally we'll find shows to watch on the internet, and we watch movies that we get from the library or redbox, but tv is not a part of our lives.

Do you have tv? What do you like/not like about your tv status? Have you ever tried going a day or a week or longer without tv? Did you love it?

4 comments:

Maria said...

We have a tv but I have been wanting to go without it and computer for a week just to see how much I use it.
We never had cable but there was a deal going on so we tried it. I will say I like it for Addie (She watches 2 shows in the morning so I can clean/cook/pretty much get ready)
But, I have become so addicted to just turning it on whenever I have finished my basic chores and cooking prep for the day. I noticed if I don't keep an eye on it I have more "lazy days" so I am not a real huge fan for me but torn because I like using it for Addie and things like football games for Jer and the occasional hgtv show.
The question for me I guess, is do I have enough self control...or maybe self awareness.

Lynn said...

No TV for us. We had cable for awhile, and I watched HGTV until they all started sounding alike.

Maybe it's because I grew up without TV but I rarely miss it. It causes too much contention in our family when we have TV.

Now I've just got to do something about this computer...

WV: romeast--the latest wonder food.

Unknown said...

We don't do TV/cable--the last time we had it was over 4 years ago when our landlord paid for it. We spent way too much time watching it! When we moved to Texas it was low on the list of things to get set up. When we realized we had gone months without we decided to leave it alone. We did end up getting a computer and internet, though. If we want to watch something now we use the internet/netflix. We are huge netflix fans! We also have some old VHS and DVDs that we watch every once in a while. I think we've been better off without it. :)

~Carla

Anonymous said...

No TV here either. I discontinued my satellite service when I realized that I was only watching maybe two or three hours a month, so those were really expensive hours!

So no, I don't miss it. Except during football season, but even then I have friends with TVs and it's way more fun to watch football with friends anyway.

I do, however, have Netflix (love Netflix!)and can manage to waste several hours on instant play movies. (But usually I'm also chatting with Rene, so I consider it time spent working toward my eternal salvation ;))