Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolution Time!

Up to this point in my life, I haven't done New Years' Resolutions. (Well, I sortof did one last year, but it wasn't really a resolution... more on that tomorrow.) I've always thought that if one has a desire to change something, one should begin when one feels the need, not when New Years happens to hit. I've always felt that 1) if you don't feel it, then it isn't going to happen, and 2) if you have to wait for a specific day to start, then you either lose momentum before you begin or you weren't really feeling it in the first place.

This year, I'm seeing a lot of really good resolutions. One of my favorites actually comes from Maria, who blogged about her success with resolutions last year. How cool is that? And then, of course, there are the 5000 people on Pioneer Woman's blog who are trying to win a Nikon camera by listing their top resolutions for the upcoming year...

So, I think I should be inspired. The trouble is, I'm not entirely sure what I should be inpired to do, or what specific steps I should take to improve myself with that inspiration.

And so I ask you- do you do New Years' Resolutions? What are you aiming for in 2011? How do you plan to turn your goals into realities?

See ya in the new year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on if you have to wait for a specific date to start you don't actually care enough to do it thing. Which is why I tend to avoid what most people think of as "New Year's Resolutions."

I do, however, find that the beginning of a new year (and a new month, and a new week) is a good time to stop and think about what I want to do to progress as a person. And then I make goals instead of resolutions. I try to make sure that my goals are helping me to become the kind of person that I want to be mentally, spiritually, and physically. And I frequently have some kind of financial goal and an experiential goal (i.e. last year I planned to go to Italy).

I also usually keep them simple. Which helps. And I've learned that it helps to focus on the result, not the activity. Like last year, I wanted to learn to play the viola and the specific result was play in sacrament meeting. And I did. Go me!