Monday, December 6, 2010

All Things Birthday

Aren't birthdays fun? I just love them.

Just a quick report... a few months ago, my Dad came into town for my Grandma's birthday party. That was fun in and of itself, but he also brought me an early birthday present, which I convinced him to let me open early. It was a gorgeous Nativity set. We get to put that up tonight and teach Schprid about Jesus. Yay!

On Friday, the in-laws came to town. They brought some of Ryan's old things, including a very cool toy box/bench that I intend to turn into a costume box. Then they took us up to Salt Lake where they treated us to Benihana and a carriage ride. Benihana was cool... it's a Japanese steak house where you sit at the grill and watch the chef prepare your meal right before your eyes. He made a volcano out of onions and vinegar. Schprid was fascinated. The food was good, too. I've decided that I need a salt grinder. The carriage ride was awesome. Every time I've been to Salt Lake City near Christmastime, I've watched the carriages being pulled by the gorgeous draft horses and I have drooled. This year, thanks to the glorious generosity of Hubby's parents, I was able to go on one. And yes, it was everything I've ever dreamed. Our horse was a beautiful Percheron named Sisco. He was a little psycho and never wanted to stop, but our driver just stuck the horse's nose on the tail end of another carriage, and he did just fine. It was fun getting to see some of the scenery of Salt Lake City at a slow pace, with a knowledgeable guide, without the stress of trying to negotiate through the traffic. And there's something about carriage rides that is just cool. I'm excited to get our cart set up for driving with one horse. That will be a good day.

Sunday, my actual birthday, was a very good day. As always, Hubby spoiled me atrociously. He gave me my presents that morning before the day's activities began. He got me a 25 foot rope so I can better play with my pony. Schprid got me a measuring spoon set (for some reason I didn't have a tablespoon!) and a teflon-safe wisk. What a good little shopper! After Church, Hubby made me pasta with grilled chicken and zuccini, which was absolutely amazing, and then he did dishes while I read a book. He made me a white cake which he then let me frost and sprinkle, which was fun, and he taught me his family's tradition of non-birthday people getting to make wishes, too.

We ended the day with a massage that was glorious and put me to sleep for about 11 hours. Ah, this is the life. Good times. Good times indeed.

Thanks to all who called or facebooked or texted or even snail-mailed. Birthday wishes are always wonderful!

And, for those of you who have been dying to know the answer to the pop quiz question below, it is this:

A horse is thinking if he is licking his lips and chewing. A soft eye is pretty much always a part of it, as are relaxed muscles, but licking and chewing are sure signs.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

okay, now you made me want a piece of gum so I can think!

WV: argentag--a silver label for a Christmas gift.