Monday, December 13, 2010

Her Own Thing

Yesterday, my baby girl went to nursery for the first time. We got through the first hour of Church okay, with no more than the usual amount of climbing around, squealing, banging hymnbooks and other squirrellery. Then, instead of dragging her along to the boring adult class, we marched her down the hall and delivered her into the hands of the nursery ladies.

They were thrilled to see her. Schprid attracts attention wherever she goes, and they had both seen her at other functions. They immediately picked her up, made off with her, and introduced her to some lovely new toys. We, her lonely parents, were left standing at the doorway, wondering what to do with ourselves. Finally, we left, without so much as a goodbye.

She was brought back to us 45 minutes later. Stinky diaper. Nursery ladies put up with a lot, but that's where they draw the line. I went and changed her, then marched her right back down the hall to the nursery. When we got there, she voluntarily let go of my hand, walked through the door, and made her way over to one of the other little girls who was playing in the room. Never even turned around. I was left, alone, standing in the doorway, all by myself...

And then I marched myself back to my meeting. You know what? It was awesome. It was weird, being able to pay attention to the lesson. But I got to pay attention to the lesson!!! I gained new insights! I learned stuff! I didn't have to constantly pay attention to the little person who could not be contained and so sedately wandered around in front of the classroom. It was joyful.

After church, I went to go pick her up. The nursery ladies said she did great, and made sure she had her picture that she had colored to take home. It was good. My little girl is growing up. She has her own little thing to go to now, all by herself. *sniff, sniff*

*jumps for joy*

*sniff*

*smile*

I think I'm conflicted...

2 comments:

Maria said...

Addie makes a B-line for nursery each time. I don't get hugs or byes or anything. So I know how you feel ;)

Lynn said...

If you're lucky it will happen again next week. She sounds like a friendly little girl.

As for drawing the line at diapers--well, it's in the handbook. For the sake of child protection, nursery leaders are no longer allowed to do that.

As a nursery leader, I am grateful, though sometimes it would be easier to change the diaper than to find the parents.

WV: umattli--Eskimo picture framing technique which makes the photos and art stand up to being hung in a damp, icy environment.