Friday, October 1, 2010

Photography

So here's the thing about photography. I love it. I love to look at well-done pictures. I love the stories they tell and the beauty they portray. And when you compare it to painting, or crafting, or other types of artistry, it's one of the easier ones. Point, click, maybe edit some, and send it to Wal-Mart. A few days later, you get your pictures back in the mail. It's glorious. At that point, you can frame them, scrapbook them, collage them, or give them away as gifts. Easiest form of art in the world. Granted, I say that, but I don't know that I actually have any talent for it. Sometimes I get lucky and my pictures turn out good, but I never know why. I'd love to get better at it.

At the same time, I have a hard time remembering to get out my camera. It's lovely to take pictures, but as a general rule, I want to be playing with the horse, smelling the flower, climbing the mountain... It's hard to live life when you're busy archiving it. It's hard to archive life when you're busy living it. And here's the other problem: both the living and the archiving are essential to the human experience!

No comments: