Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Good Blog Is...

So, after seeing a couple of blogs that I personally enjoy and that seem to be enjoyed by all sorts of people who don't actually know the blogger, I've recognized some similarities that I think I should start to incorporate into my own blog. Here they are, and we'll see if they really work!

A Good Blog Is...

1. Cared For. If one takes the time to blog on a daily or almost daily basis, people are much more likely to come back looking for more.

2. Somewhat Anonymous. Whimsical names of family and friends should be used on a regular basis, rather than their actual names, as this helps preserve the privacy of one's loved ones.

3. Grammatically Correct. Smart people like smart stuff. Everyone will enjoy the blog more if the blogs are written with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and organization.

4. Visually stimulating. Blogs with pictures are far more interesting to read. It's that simple. We're really all children at heart, I guess!

5. Interactive. Posting questions, polls, contests, puzzles, and links that encourage readers to get engaged is far more likely to draw them back for more.

6. Themed. Readers like to know what they're getting into. Yes, blogs are about life and personal experiences, but it's difficult when you don't know if you're going to get religion, humor, whimsy, a story, or personal improvement.

With these in mind, and with the idea that I'd like to become a better blogger, I have a few things to work on! One thing at a time, I think. At least I'm posting almost daily now!

What do you like to see in a blog? (And there's my interactive question! Boo-yah!)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I like to see good, realistic writing. Too much poetry and I give up and move on to something I can relate to. If they can present real life in a humorous way, I enjoy that. One of my friends wrote about the disastrous day she left a swim diaper off her little boy...at a wading pool party...you get the picture.

I like arts and crafts blogs, but I don't have time to subscribe to very many of them. I don't do the projects anyway but if I want an idea I know where to look.

I do follow a couple of blogs of people with similar interests and problems, women my age trying to get fit, etc.

I like yours because I know you, but also because you are real. Another niece of mine has a very strange name for her husband and it is distracting. Why can't she just call him David (not his real name) or something. A friend refers to her kids by number. Uno, Dos, Tres...I never have trouble remembering which is which on hers.

I was trying to use middle names but it just confused everyone. Especially since Tres's middle name is the same as his dad's first name. And Dos uses his middle name, but his first name is the same as GC Quatro.

I hardly refer to my children anyway so it's not often an issue. I'll usually just say "one of my sons". And the grandchildren are Just Missy 1 & 2, Big Brother R & T, etc. Baby J is quickly becoming a toddler though...

WV: expers--the people who are so sure they know how to spell that they don't bother to use spell-check.