Monday, October 25, 2010

Less Weird

That was my euphemism last time around. "Ryan," I would say after examining my ever-growing body, or after being kicked in the bladder, "Pregnancy is so weird!"

After it was over, I was able to admit the truth. Pregnancy is awful. I couldn't admit it at the time, of course. Pregnancy is, after all, the miracle of childbirth, and who doesn't want to be a part of that, right? Right?

It's a tricky question, I know.

But let's face it. Getting "fat" is the least of your worries. There's the nausea, the moodiness, the fat feet, the fat fingers, the increased familiarity with the bathroom, the super long shirts and pants that won't stay up... and then there's the fact that your insides all get pushed up into your ribcage to make room for the precious little one. And, because you're carrying a lot more weight and it's all in your front, your back gets pulled foward and out of place and you posture gets all screwed up. I could go on... and on... and on... but I won't. :)

This time around, it still sucks. But the cool thing is, I knew it was going to, and something about calling it the way I see it makes it more easy to deal with. I'm able to deal with the back pains and potty breaks a little better, and this time, I'm able to see how the shifts my body is making really are little miracles. So, I can't walk very well... my hips are spreading apart in preparation for the big day! So, my stomach is squished and I can't eat a full meal at a time... I can feel exactly where the baby is! It's weird to me that I'm getting excited about these little things. But it's less weird than last time around.

And, as a side note, having the cutest little Schprid in the world makes the time seem to go faster. I can't focus on myself nearly as much when I've got a one-year-old who needs cheerios and water and a diaper change and hugs when she falls and stories read to her.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Maybe you should adopt the rest of your family. :)

Chelsea I'm glad you're honest about this. There have been so many times I've heard about the "joys" of this or that, and I'm like "I'm missing out somewhere."

I'm putting the rest of the comment in a facebook message for you.