Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Poll Happy

Polls are fun.  Don't you think so?  I like them.  Hence, today, I'm putting up two polls at once.  Woohoo!  Let's get crazy!

They are related, though.  We don't want to get too crazy.

Here's the deal: we still don't know what to name this kid.  We have decided to decide at the hospital, after we've met him.  Until that point, we are still up for suggestions.  We do want to use the initials RKR, after his Daddy.  For first names, we like Rafe and Ryder.  For middle names, we like Kenton and Kenneth.

Here are the facts.

Rafe is a good name, despite the fact that Ben Affleck's character in Pearl Harbor is named Rafe.  It's an obscure enough character that it shouldn't be remembered much in the course of our little boy's life.  It has a good meaning, it's simple, it's strong.  At the same time, picture this:  I'm at the park, dealing with three other kids, and Rafe mischievously runs off.  I can't very well run after him because, like I said, I'm dealing with three other kids.  Instead, I call out to him.  "Rafe!  Rafe!"  I could see that getting some interesting looks from those who don't know us and can't necessarily hear that the consonant I'm using is an "f" rather than a "p."  And you know that scenario is going to happen a time or two.  It has been suggested that I add in some context such as "Rafe, come here!" which would lead to less confusion, but in the heat of that moment, will I really be thinking about context?

Ryder is a good name.  There aren't many people who have the name.  It's good, solid, strong.  At the same time, I worry about it being connected with riding horses... or even riding in cars.  (Despite his parents, the kid may end up loving cars, who knows?)  It's sortof like the hippies who name their daughter "Cloud."  Cool name, sure.  Did you really have to go with such an obvious reference to your culture?  Plus, at family reunions we would end up with a Ryan, a Ryder, and a Rydan.  If that won't twist your tongue, I don't know what will!

On to middle names.

Both Kenneth and Kenton are good middle names, I think.  If he decides to go by his middle name at some point, either could be shortened to Ken and be perfectly respectable in any business situation, I think.  I don't like the sound of Kenneth quite as much, but it is a family name and is perfectly acceptable for a middle name.  Kenton is cooler, but also weirder.

So, please vote on what names you prefer.  If you select other, then a comment on this post with other options would be most appreciated.

One final note- it has been suggested that we name our child Russell Krow.  I would like to state for the record that I will not, under any circumstances, be using that particular suggestion.  I'm sorry if that's what you were going to recommend. 

1 comment:

Maria said...

Ya, I laughed pretty hard when I heard your concern about Rafe. But it is a pretty cool name though.

I have always liked the names Reid and Riley myself. Jer doesn't really like them so I probably won't be able ever use them, but we will see.