Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Life in Limbo or: Waiting for Baby

Yesterday I had continuous contractions for over 4 hours. They were irregular; none were farther apart than 13 minutes, none less than 3 minutes apart. I also went in to the hospital for a non-stress test. Apparently things can go horribly horribly wrong within 2 days after the estimated due date. We averted that crisis; she told us everything was perfect and I'm okay to stay pregnant. Yay? :) I also told her that on Thursday, when I went in for my regular appointment with the midwives, I was dilated to 4 centimeters. (I'm also 80% effaced, apparently.) She was amazed that I'm still pregnant. She measured the amniotic fluid and told me that all her numbers had to add up to at least a 5. Mine added up to 15. I think we're good, and baby's content to roll around in my belly for a while longer. *sigh*

Meanwhile, my Mom and sister have arrived in town. Hayley is enjoying her first EFY experience, and Mom is here frantically sewing bedding for the bassinet that she brought. Yay! Cara will have a bed when she comes!

Incidentally, when my Mom was pregnant with me, her contractions didn't start until a few minutes after she had finished putting the bumper pads on my crib. I was a week late. We joke that Cara won't come until after her bed is finished, either. We keep telling her it's okay to come a little sooner- the bed will be ready for her when she comes home. She's not listening so far.

Otherwise... everyone's sitting on pins and needles. "Do you have a baby yet?" and "No, not yet," are the most common phrases in our lives right now. Everything feels like it's on hold. My back is sore. I can't eat much- I'm still not feeling great from Sunday, but I have started drinking juice and eating crackers, so at least both of us are getting some nutrition. She's still moving quite well. I'm sleeping well at night (all things considered) and, though my movement is restricted, I'm generally feeling pretty well during the day still.

Predictions? Well, I thought she'd be here last Thursday. Ryan thought she'd be here on Saturday. My Mom thinks she'll come on July 2nd. I'm figuring out that the baby waiting game is... full of excitement, trepidation, anxiety, and difficulty breathing. :) At this point, I'm excited to be able to hand her to Ryan and let him hold her for half an hour. I can't wait to lay on my belly, eat sushi, and walk in a straight line without swaying from side to side. Ah, the good times ahead!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I love the way you write--very entertaining! :) And I understand almost exactly how you're feeling. Not that it matters, but I was walking around dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced, I had a non-stress test showing that everything was fine and the fluid levels were okay, and my doctor wondered why I was still pregnant too. I went three days overdue before being induced. Hopefully little Cara will come on her own soon! What a crazy way to live life--always on the edge. It does make it more interesting though, doesn't it?! Good luck! Hopefully you'll get to sleep on your stomach again soon! (It's a glorious thing when you finally can!) :)

Ruth said...

I'm almost with ya. I want to eat feta cheese again, sleep on my back, and just get my body back again. And of course have a new beautiful baby. Hopefully you can avoid being induced. Sounds like your body knows what it's doing anyway.

Lynn said...

I could really scare you! Be grateful you can't go two months over like Mom did with Shari! What were they thinking in 1959? (I think most likely her dates were off; Shari was a healthy less than nine pounds at birth almost two months late!)

Hope all goes well! Sorry you missed the 4th! Maybe you can go quick and exchange her outfit for a 12-mo. size! :)