Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Mommy Phenomenon

It's the craziest thing. I'm a scant week and a half into Mommyhood, and already I've discovered new abilities. I can survive on less sleep, use one hand to complete work that should require five, and have developed an uncanny ability to find anything. I can handle bank statements, cleaning the kitchen, and laundry all at once. I keep a catalog in my head of the things that need to be done and when they need to be done by. I can run my own life, my daughter's life, and keep track of my husband's life. I go grocery shopping, clothes shopping, birthday shopping, and always answer the telephone in a pleasant voice. I even noticed, the other day, two little bumps forming on the back of my head. I'll have to figure out how other moms keep them hidden while still managing to see everything...

Heehee. Not. Truthfully, I'm still tired and sore, and completely sick of it. I haven't cooked in at least two weeks. I try to keep up with it, but my house is definitely more messy than I would prefer. Half the time I sleep through Cara's crying at night, and only rouse when Ryan wakes me with a gentle touch, having already changed her diaper and stayed up for half an hour trying to soothe her. I am so grateful for all the help we have received from family and friends, for without it I would truly be a wreck.

There is one superpower, though, that is worth mentioning. Through the nine months of carrying her, somehow Cara came to know me and to recognize me. She is so cared for and loved- especially by Ryan. He holds her, and talks to her, and plays with her, and is amazing to her in every way. In all reality, I'm probably not quite as kind with her. I love her with all my heart, but I don't go to her side at every whimper. I often let her get up to a lusty cry before I try to help her. But somehow, even when I don't do anything but hold her, she usually quiets when she's in my arms. Others will bend over backwards to make her happy, and she usually is happy, but even though I do nothing but hold her, she will get quiet and know that everything is going to be okay. It's a really neat feeling.

3 comments:

Holly said...

You had me worried for a minute there...I haven't even mastered all those things, and I'm 10 months into motherhood! Don't worry about not having everything under control. It's hard to not be able to get everything done like you used to, but being a mom is the most important thing. And the newborn stage is over so fast--take advantage of just holding her and enjoying her while you can! And I agree that it is the most wonderful feeling in the world to have your baby love you the best and stop crying when you pick them up. It makes everything worth it.

Lynn said...

You'll never have everything under control again! Just let it all go for now and enjoy that baby!
(besides if you had it all under control before I feel sorry for you having no life.)
Love, Aunt Lynn

Kelty said...

Wow Chels,

Well said. I have been thinking about you - don't worry, I've heard from several reliable sources that the first few months are a learning curve, a really big one :) Your baby girl is DARLING and I enjoyed holding her during my visit. Onward and upward miss Jedi! I'm cheering you on. btw - I am going to be throwing a b-day party for Duane and Me (we will be in town for his graduation) and I want to invite you (even if you can't come) I'll be inviting the barn clan too, for sure. It's going to be on aug. 11th, can I get your address to send along an invite?

Sincerely,

Kelty