Sunday, February 22, 2009

Capitulation

Once upon a time, I wanted long hair. All my cute friends had long hair, and mine simply would not grow. It was so sad!

And then, boom! My hair decided to grow! I was thrilled. I kept it long for about 8 years. It went down to my elbow, and was thick, and curly, and all the beautiful things that hair is supposed to be.

However, after eight years, I decided to cut it... and I cut it short. It was about chin length in the front, but quite a bit shorter in the back, and I loved it. Even though I had to get it trimmed every 2-3 weeks, I loved it.

Then I started working at Heritage. With horses, hair is often much easier to deal with if it is long and you can pull it away from your face. Also, again, all my cute friends had long hair, and they were so beautiful! I was way jealous, and decided to grow my hair out, as much for convenience's sake as anything else. Besides, I was taking showers at night after I would come home, and didn't take the time to style it, and so I would throw on a bandana and that would be that. It didn't look good at all, and I wanted to look at least somewhat attractive after taking a shower!

It was a long journey. Because my hair was so much shorter in the back, I still had to go get it cut every 2-3 weeks just until it grew out enough to be even so that it would all grow out together and not look completely stupid. Plus, once I went to get my hair trimmed and the girl hacked off a full 2 inches, thus negating about 4 months of work... which is difficult to make up when your hair is curly and doesn't acquire length nearly as fast as it acquires volume!

Anyway, here I am, four years after my journey began, and I no longer work at Heritage. My hair is shoulder length when it's dry and almost to my shoulder blades when it's wet, and at that awkward stage where it just looks messy regardless what I do with it. It pulls attention away from my face (which is really what it's there to frame, right?) and doesn't do much to flatter me.

For the last few days, I have been wanting to get my hair cut. Ryan is way supportive. We both know it's my hair and I can do whatever I want with it. (Incidentally, he says he likes long hair, but he plays with it more when it's a little bit shorter.) But I can't decide! I wanted long hair for so long, and now I'm almost there, but I don't like it! I keep thinking how much easier it would be, and how much it would frame my face, and all these things that draw me toward the salon! *sigh* Life is hard.

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I am totally feeling you! My hair is at a point where I have to decide if I want to go long again or go to the salon tomorrow and it's TOO HARD TO CHOOSE!

I've always loved your hair short though.

Adri said...

I was just going through the same thing, and I finally feel like I've made it past the yucky phase! :) I think your hair is way cute short, but that's just me. Good luck with your decision!

Ruth said...

I think it was while we were roommates that you chopped it, and I loved it. It was WAY cute. I'm still envious at how well you can pull off that haircut.