Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The New Me... Or the Old Me with New Oomph

 
This is a versatile picture.  I like it.  I actually don't like the picture itself very much, but I like that you can use it for just about anything.  Time to cook dinner?  We can do it!  I'm gonna buckle down and lose some weight?  We can do it!  The car needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up?  We can do it!  It's uplifting, really.



On to the subject of this post.  You ready?

There is not enough time in the universe to do all the things I want to do.  That's a quote from my hubby.  And here's the thing:  he's right.  I am not an ambitious person.  I swear I'm not.  I'm a very solid type B, laid-back, ignorance-is-bliss, if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it kind of gal.  But somehow, I learned all sorts of cool things.  I write.  I want to write books and series and epic adventures.  I do arts and crafts kind of things.  I am very active in Church and all that it entails.  I enjoy cooking.  I like to organize.  (I know, I'm weird.)  I ride and train horses.  I exercise.  I read.  I play games.  I want to homeschool our kids.  I want to start a Melaleuca business.  I am learning photography, because I need a hobby to fill up all those spare hours I have just lying around.

In my newfound obsession with Pinterest, my imagination has been sparked with all sorts of new ideas for making and keeping a beautiful home and happy kids.  I honestly want to do them all!  We can do it!

But, I really can't.  It may be possible, but I'm not entirely sure how at this point in my life.  And so, here's my newfound plan:  I will focus on horses, and let the other things fall in wherever they may.  Horses do require a certain amount of time and effort, and, quite frankly, I'm happy when I get out there.

I figure, really, that there are tons of other people who can do the other things.  The world is abounding in arts and crafts and the wonderful people who can do them.  My brother is a better writer than I am.  I'm never going to be an acclaimed chef and I have no real desire to start any kind of a restaurant.  Church will always be there, but it doesn't take up the entirety of my life.  You get the picture.  But horsing really is a rare kind of activity.  There aren't nearly as many people who are adept with horses as there are people who can do the other things, and in a far better way than I can.

So, I am not giving up on my other talents.  I love them.  I just also think that horses are in my life for a reason, and I need to figure out what that reason is.  I'll let all you other girls be pretty.  For now, I'm going to roll up my sleeves, put a handkerchief on my head, and go out and get dirty with the horses.

6 comments:

Cameron said...

Do you mean Trevor? Because there is no way that you think I'm a better writer than you.

Skyjam said...

Why on earth do you think I'm a better writer than you?

M&M said...

I have that picture on a magnet on my fridge :)And Chelsea...YOU ARE PRETTY!

Chels said...

I like how Cameron asked to confirm who was the better writer, while Trevor just flat out assumed it was him. ;)

Skyjam, the only thing you've ever given me to read is snippets, but almost every one has dragged me into the story within the first few sentances and they all leave me wanting more. I still want to know about the dead guy driving the wagon. My writing is decent, but I have yet to find my voice. Everything I do is a copy of somebody else's voice- or it's a running introspection that quickly gets mind-numbingly boring. Your writing is beautiful... with the exception of a pumpkin bottom featured in a dream that I still can't quite get out of my head.

Cameron, you are a very good writer, too, from what I remember. You haven't given me any samples lately, though, so I have little to go on. I still love you to pieces, though!

Skyjam said...

Thanks for saying the nice things, but just FYI...I feel exactly the same way. Your elemental breaking beginning was amazing, and nothing I've written comes close. And the reason I've only given you snippets to read is mostly I've only written snippets before I run out of interesting things to write.

And what's wrong with the pumpkin-bottom dream? ;P

Jessie said...

Well I think u r amazing. Everything I've seen u do u excell at.