Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fishing, Metaphorically

 

Have you ever gone fishing?  I've never done any true fishing.  I've gone to a fish farm where six people can catch ninety fish in half an hour.  It's exhilarating, but it's not real fishing.

No, the fishing I'm talking about is the type where you hunt out the perfect spot of land right next to a river, or stream, or lake, and cast your line, and wait.  Occasionally you have to cast your line again to try to get a fish's attention.  Most of it, though, is being quiet, and still, and watching the water flow by.  You hope to get a tug on your line.  You hope to have fresh fish for dinner.  You stand there, and you wait.  Eventually, you sink down and you sit and wait.  You can't make the fish bite; all you can do is be ready when they do.

I've realized, lately, that reading the scriptures is much like fishing for me.  I read the words, and I try to apply the teachings to my own life.  So much of it, though, is white noise, like the sound of rushing waters that lull me to sleep.

I remember in my younger days, going to church had the same effect.  Probably helpful, but ultimately mostly boring.  That changed in later years, and now I'm so excited to be around other adults that I get really excited to go to church.

Hubby said something interesting, though.  He mentioned that church is often boring for a lot of people.  Generally, when it's boring, it's because we're listening only to the people and not to the Spirit.  When the Spirit speaks, when we hear and understand it, it's exciting.  The Spirit can speak the things that we are ready to hear, and he not only speaks to our minds but also to our hearts, to our emotions.  And really, when you think about it, it's our emotions that keep us engaged in life, right?

And so, I've been trying to apply that same principle to reading the scriptures.  All too often it's still white noise; the language is archaic and I don't understand the cultures or geography to which they refer.  Still, if I am patient, I can muddle through the parts I don't understand and be ready for when the Spirit does speak to me.  I may never understand the scriptures in their entirety.  Hopefully, though, I can learn the important things of life that will help me to become better.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Like fishing, the more often you sit on that bank with your line out, the more often one takes the bait.

Plus, you learn what lures work best for you, where to cast the line for the best catch, and, indeed, how to sit quietly and ponder.

And the Lord's timing is amazing...you'll start to find just the right scripture when needed, but only if you're in there regularly up to your knees or hips in the Living Water.