Monday, April 19, 2010

New House

Okay, this is going to have to be fast, because Ryan's already in bed, where I should definitely be as well. I just wanted to give everybody the update. :)

We have officially bought a house in South Provo, kinda by the lake and just slightly west of the freeway. It's on .63 acres and, yes, we have a horse to go on our horse property.

The house is everything I described before and more. It has four bedrooms, a living room and a family room, a good sized yard both in front and in back, a smallish kitchen, and a walk-through closet in the master bedroom that leads to the master bath. It also sports the garish colors of bright yellow, deep red, sky blue, puke purple, and bright pink and purple in various rooms. Also, for those of you who didn't catch my facebook post/comments, the people who used to live here raised fighting chickens. There was chicken paraphpernalia everywhere- including the basement. We may be battling the smell for awhile.

I'll post pictures eventually, but I'd like to get good "after" pictures to post in comparison with the "before" pictures, so it might be awhile. Suffice it to say that we have already redone the cabinets in the kitchen, the carpet in four different rooms (one of them was rose pink- and all were heavily stained!), re-plumbed one of the bathtubs, cleaned out the pasture, built a small paddock to keep the horse until we can really clean out the pasture, and covered the asbestos on the ceiling with sheetrock. The house is still a mess... we have a long way to go. But, we've come a long way already, and we're having fun with it. Ryan and I personally put the countertops on our new cabinets, and we completely handled getting new carpet. Everything else we've had help with, but we have many many many projects that still need to be done and that we'll have our hands in. It's a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Does your basement have a wood or concrete floor?
Here's an interesting odor solution: Sweep and map it well, then spread out white vinegar with a clean, new mop. Let it dry on. the vinegar odor will leave as it dries.

Seal it with a good floor paint or sealer before you put down carpet and it will do much better.

Our first Magna house we did the vinegar but not the sealer, and on humid days it still smelled a bit. In this house, we did the sealer, and it's been great.

Have a great day!

Chels said...

Ooh... Good idea! The basement is completely unfinished right now, and is really only big enough for storage anyway. Right now we're just trying to get it cleaned up from the chicken smell/water damage. We're adding window wells and caulking, taking out the wooden shelves that are currently there, trying to catch any mice that might be down there, and bleaching every surface we can find! I like the vinegar/sealer idea, though. Maybe we'll do that before we frame and sheetrock in a couple years.

Lynn said...

Bleach is great if you've had mice. Who knows what germs they carried--not to mention chickens are not exactly sanitary either.

If there are safe, baby-proof places to put it, D-con is great to keep mice out. Or a cat, if you are so inclined. When we had a cat (which I am now allergic to!) he always had to sleep in the garage at night. We rarely got mice upstairs or down. One morning I found one trying to get out of the kitchen sink. I confused our poor cat, who was never allowed on the counters or table, by putting him on the counter by the sink. At first he tried to get down, until he saw the mouse! He caught it quickly; I then put cat and mouse outdoors and let them have at it.

I posted a response to your comment on my blog.

Ronnie said...

Good for you guys Chels! It is so exciting to hear all the progress you've made in such a very short amount of time! I look forward to your before AND after photos.

Hey Lynn, where is your word verification definition? I enjoy those! I guess I'll have to make one up today:
tubacti: the sister city/alternate reality of Timbuktu.

Lynn said...

Oh, I must have missed one that day. I'm glad someone is enjoying my silliness. I loved the "sister city" one.
Let's see, squeboad...
how you clean da windows on a houseboad...

Chelsea, how's the house?

Sina said...

Good luck with the smell! And the rest of the house! Sounds like it will be beautiful once you and Ry get done with some renovations!