Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Bigoted: adjective. Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions. Expressing or characterized by prejudice and intolerance.

Bigot: a person who is bigoted.

Well, there you have it. By definition, I am a bigot.

This is interesting. I had a plan to say, flippantly, "Whew. I'm glad I got that off my chest. It's good to finally come out of the closet on this. I can finally be who I am by nature. You can't get on my case about this; would you have me deny who I really am?"

But then I wrote the words. I am a bigot.

It felt ugly. I don't like being a bigot. I don't necessarily want to be somebody who is prejudiced and close-minded.

Admittedly, I would change some of the definition. I'm not opposed to people themselves. I want very much to be open and loving and caring of people. I work very very hard to that end. Those who know me attest to this... and often give me more credit than I give myself. I am, however, utterly convinced that some behaviors are wrong. I'm not sure if there's a word in the English dictionary that describes that particular set of beliefs. To condemn a behavior but not a person.

So, I suppose, for lack of a better word, I am a bigot.

I should get used to it. I'm sure that if this blog gets circulated at all, I will be called a bigot, and maybe worse. Part of the purpose of this particular entry was to get used to hearing that word in connection with myself so that I won't be caught off guard by this defense when standing up for what I do believe.

I am a bigot.

It's getting easier. Perhaps now I can get on with the other points I wanted to make.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This famous statement made by Voltaire has characterized much of what makes this country great. This is the country where you can say whatever you want to say without fear of imprisonment. In most peoples' opinions, this is a fantastic philosophy. I certainly agree with it.

Ironically, the same philosophy that led to a constitution that enables freedom of religion also protects freedom from religion. It protects that minority that would flaunt their deviation from morality.

I also really like the statement, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

How, then, does one stand for one's own beliefs, and try to protect them, while not infringing on the rights of others to speak and act and live as they wish?

I heard a news story yesterday about a school that canceled Prom because a girl wanted to dress up in a tux and take her girlfriend to the dance. It was not legal for the school to prohibit the girl from going. The only way for them to uphold their values and at the same time take a stand was to cancel Prom. Personally, I think the school was right on in their decision. At the same time, I feel sad for all those girls whose night was ruined because of one-well, two-girls.

It's interesting, too, having seen the progression. Once upon a time, people didn't talk about sexual indiscretions. They were a completely taboo subject. Now sex not only talked about, it's flaunted on television. It is inescapably plastered on billboards. A sitcom is not successful unless it has sexual jokes and innuendos in every episode. In real life, adultery became... if not necessarily acceptable, at least not punishable by legal avenues. (This might be wrong. I haven't done research, here, I'm just going by what little I've seen.) Now, not only are sexual indiscretions regarded as normal, but homosexuals have started flaunting their own preferences and touting them as normal. Since they have started "coming out of the closet," they have gained more and more acceptance in mainstream society.

Right now, I would like to make two points. I absolutely do not condone ill treatment of gay people. At the same time, I absolutely do not mean to backpedal. I believe homosexuality is a perversion of something that is intended to be sacred and good.

I'm not going to go crusading against homosexuality. I have other priorities in my life right now. Perhaps someday. At the same time, I do want to declare, unequivocally, that I do not approve of homosexual behaviors, or of sexual behaviors out of wedlock. I am out of the closet. This is the hat I wear.

Anybody have a feather?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

why a feather? to put in your "bigoted" cap?

My question is this: when does tolerance cross the line into the ridiculous?

First we tolerated "free love" in the 60's. We tolerated open promotion of birth control in the 70's, complete with a zero-population movement. Then we tolerated unwed pregnancy in the 80's. In the 90's we tolerated living together unwed. And now we just accept all those things as normal, and we are supposed to tolerate homosexuality. What's next? Openly accepting adultery and group sex? Public nudity? Bestiality? Rape? Adult-child relationships? (Now called abuse!)

Where will the world be in 50 years? How far do we have to go in tolerance before we become like Sodom and Gomorrah? Or are we already past that?

WV: squistyl (maybe it's a new word for people who love people but not all their behaviors.)

You're not a bigot, you're a SQUISTYL!