Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Horsing Confession

In a nutshell, it's this: I'm afraid to ride horses.

With over 15 years of riding experience, you'd think I'd be over that.

Suffice it to say that I found myself in a situation where I have learned that I don't know much more than I do know, and that of the things I did know, about half were wrong. I learned how very very easy it is to hurt horses. Because of that, I became stiff and unsure and began to hurt myself as well. Of course, then I had several bad experiences with horses, which led to the fear which I shamefully acknowledge within myself... and apparently on the internet superhighway.

But today I rode my horse. I did the very most basic riding lesson you can possibly do with the horsing program that I trust more than any other. And you know what? It was fun. I felt good, just doing that simple lesson. I'm excited to expand my abilities. I intend to expand my riding and groundwork abilities at a level at which I am comfortable. Sometimes, that will even be slower than what my horse is comfortable with. And I like horsing enough to start over from almost square one.

5 comments:

Ronnie said...

Hey, I totally get this. I grew up being afraid of horses, but crazy horse girl that I am (we are), I learned, and keep learning, and that keeps me safe. And when I feel safe, I have fun! Same for our horses that we get to play with right?

Chels said...

So true. Riding really is amazing, and so is just playing on the ground!

Lynn said...

It sounds like you are more worried about the horse than yourself. You are so caring! Hang in there and you will get it all figured out.

WV: shiomol--I don't know, it sounds like some sort of Arabian scarf or something.

Chels said...

It's true, actually. For the most part, I am more worried about the horse than I am about myself. I know how I'm feeling... I'm still learning to read how the horse is feeling!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Kelty said...

You go girl!! I love reading this blog :)